Meeting the demands of everyday family life can be exhausting. Moms often struggle to take time for themselves when it comes to health and fitness. They can't find time or feel too overwhelmed to prioritize their own health and fitness. Do you feel guilty even thinking about doing something just for you and your health?
Sleepless nights, loads of laundry, and never-ending chores leave moms with little time to plan and cook nutritious meals, exercise or generally take time for themselves. Sometimes when we are stressed, overwhelmed or just tired, we turn to food to make it go away, feel better, or numb it all. Does this sound familiar?
That was my life...but not anymore. After having children, I left my career as a Social Worker working with families and change. I wanted to improve my health and wanted to live longer. I followed my passion for fitness and became a certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor. I have a specialty in Pre and Post Natal Fitness. I love working with moms. From Boot Camp classes, Personal Training sessions, and online coaching, the rewards are never ending when seeing the success and achievements of strong, determined women. Being a Mom is by far the most challenging job I have ever had. The most challenging AND the most rewarding! I knew I wanted to make a difference in the world, I am so excited to work with other busy Moms who want to be healthier and happier too!
My name is Cheryl Hawrychuk. It's been a long journey for me. I can still hear the voices, “Thunder thighs”, my diary entries in elementary school, "I am going on a diet tomorrow, I am fat”, “You have such a pretty face, if only you could lose the weight”. Scars on my soul, that are just fading now.
This is how my journey with eating, and being active (or lack thereof) started 30 years ago. I topped my weight at 187 pounds, my license says I am 5”1, I am not, I am 5 foot nothing! I used to hate being so short……when I was so wide. When I graduated from high school, I wore a size 18, purple velvet graduation dress……….I struggled with eating and exercise for years...never really quite finding my comfort with myself or what I was doing. It seemed so hard!!!! So what changed? What happened?
I lost my Dad...
.....he died at 61 years young. He had adult onset diabetes, heart disease due to lifestyle decisions - smoking, eating unhealthy food, not incorporating activity....now I know genetics have a place in what our life and how body grows and functions. But I wanted my dad to walk me down the aisle, to meet his grandsons....but he didn't. The beauty of watching one of the strongest men in your life struggle to stay alive is that you get to have conversations, true, honest talks about life. I knew who he wanted to walk me down the aisle. He knew I was going to marry John. But he never had sons...ugh I wish he could have met my 3 boys.
My dad had both legs and his one hip amputated before he died. He was so strong...quiver...quiver..tears are welling up in my eyes as I type....I didn't want that for me...for my boys. I wanted him to be here....I want to be HERE!! I want to live and be healthy!!!! And so, I made choices and decisions, one day at a time. It wasn't perfect I gained and lost, I took two steps forward, some days fell 3 back. But overall....I am stronger and leaner than I ever have been before.
Why ME? Why Reel Life Fitness…….why choose me - to coach you, to train you, to make the change, to take the first step, to get more fit, and be the best you can be?
- because I love chocolate ice cream, and I used to eat the entire container at one time.
- because I didn’t always look this way.
- because I have worked hard to be where I am today.
- because I have always kept my 'fat' clothes, just in case I gained the weight back :(
- because I have had the support of my husband and sister, and know the value of asking for help.
- because I have lost and gained the same, 10, 15, 20 pounds so many times, I can’t keep track.
- because I know that depriving yourself does not work.
- because I have felt shame and guilt when I overeat.
- because I used to wish I had more will power.
- because I felt like a failure when it came to dieting.
- because I DON'T DIET anymore and you can too.
- because when I want to eat chocolate ice cream, today, I have one serving.
- because I know that sitting on the couch watching tv doesn’t help lose weight and doesn’t make you stronger.
- because I am fun.
- because I am a mom of 3 adorable boys, and I understand the demands of motherhood.
- because I workout on a consistent basis.
- because I challenge myself in my workouts.
- because I will challenge you in your workouts.
- because over the years, I needed to be accountable to someone else, and I can do that for you.
- because I eat 5-6 snacks and meals in a day.
- because I eat 3 pm raw veggies EVERYDAY.
- because I have ran 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon.
- because at 43, I am STRONG.
- because at 43, I am happy in my own skin……stretchmarks and all.
- because I am BCRPA certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor, with a specialty in pre and post natal certification.
- because I have a Bachelor of Social Work, working people dealing with change for over a decade.
- because I eat well 80% of the time and the rest…..mmmm yummy, chocolate and red wine.
- because I am never caught up on laundry.
- because I like dust bunnies, I can write messages to my boys in them.
- because I know that making lifestyle changes are not easy, there are setbacks, I can offer coaching support for you to be successful.
- because I know life isn't a dress rehearsal, and I am doing everything I can to make the most of it. I want to help you do the same for yours.
Check out my "reel" life in the Journey Gallery What a ride, but look where I am now……..when are you going to start your Journey?
eat well | be active | be "reel"